

Today was quite an interesting day. Actually it was one of those "most scary moments as a mommy". At 12:45 this afternoon Joanna ingested some medication that she shouldn't have. She went out of my sight for at the most 2 minutes and when I went looking for her I was amazed at what she had accomplished. My mama ended up calling 911 and there was both an ambulance and a fire truck! She didn't want the firemen to touch her, but one of them made her a balloon glove face thing and she was batting her eyes at him like she does so well :) The paramedic called poison control and they said that with the size of her and the amount that she could of possibly ingested, it was more and likely toxic. I was petrified! I mean, when Levi fell down the stairs yesterday, yeah I cried, but you could see right away that he was OK (despite some bumps and bruises) HOWEVER when your child could of taken something that was so harmful to them, and you cant do anything about it YEAH that brought the shaking out of me! She was definitely the best Jojo that we all know and love, all smiles and giggles. That is except for when they tried to strap her on the gurney. They have these really neat 5 point straps for children. Once we were on our way to the hospital she was having a good time. She didn't like the big rigs that would come up behind us but we convinced her that YES they do stop. She let the paramedic check her blood pressure and stick the heart monitor on her. Her pulse was a little low but once we got to the ER the nurse said she may just be really relaxed. I'm sure she was more relaxed then I. She had to be observed for no less then 4 hours because it was an extended release pain medication. I ENTERTAINED this child for more then 4 hours WITHOUT her getting off that bed!! WOOHOO look at me!! The pictures above were after she had to drink charcoal *Bluck* she made some of the silliest faces, but they were so cute. The nurse said it really wasn't flavorful but it is gritty. After seeing some very sad things in the ER we were blessed with a Jojo that was just really sleepy from the adventures from today. She fell asleep on the way home at 530.
Both the nurse and the paramedic said at separate times that they needed to make sure that they seemed like the bad guys and I was the good guy. They would never ask me to hold her down or do anything that would make me seem like a bad guy. I told them all at some point or another.... LOL.... that that wasn't how it was gonna work. I told them that since she does see the doctor so much for other medical problems and she does feel safe around everyone that we needed to try and keep it that way. SURPRISINGLY they were understanding and just fine about it. I can't tell you how many times I use to be so scared to state my feelings on medical problems for any of the kids, because I was worried that they would shoot me down or know BETTeR then I. But that's not the case at all. We must stand up as their parents to do what we think is right for them, they will listen and if they don't.... find someone else that can!
They eventually took the heart monitor tabs off her belly and chest, but unfortunately she was allergic to the latex in them... not the sticky part, but the other part. She has the biggest hive/welts on her poor little chest!
We saw a lot of sad people in there. One elderly lady (probably 70-80 years old) was beaten by someone else, but she walked on into the ER herself, no ambulance needed. very strong lady I think! There was another lady who, at 1:30 came in and had been drinking since 10 am and was so sick and in pain. I only know and can share these things because we had to sit on the bed in the hallway due to how closely she had to be watched. EVERYONE of the doctors and nurses knew she was there. They brought her a big orange Popsicle and LOVED it :) Overall it was really sad to see all those people in there in a lot of pain one way or another. We are lucky and more importantly blessed to of had her watched over by the Lord. I was a nervous, useless wreck for a time of this, and I wasn't able to even sign my name well :P
Thanks for all the prayers!!! they are much appreciated and we do feel so loved <3
(when I edit this it comes up with the different paragraphs but once I save and or publish they disappear SORRY guys, I'm not being sloppy.... really!)
No comments:
Post a Comment